Top Shelf Egg Nog
Yield: about 16 servings
6 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
1 c. orange liqueur (I use Grand Marnier.)
1/2 c. dark rum (I use Pyrat XO Reserve.)
1/2 c. brandy (I use Torres 10 Gran Reserve.)
4 c. whole milk
4 c. heavy cream
- With a hot pad in hand, in a double boiler over simmering water, whisk the egg yolks until they are well beaten.
- Add the sugar slowly and continue to whisk until the mixture is pale yellow and quite voluminous.
- With a towel in hand to dry the bottom of the bowl, remove it from the water.
- Whisk in the orange liqueur, rum, brandy, and milk.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a large bowl using a beater, whip the cream until it is doubled in volume.
- Fold the cream into the egg and milk mixture.
- Divide the egg nog into two pitchers.
- Cover it tightly with cellophane and refrigerate overnight.
The egg nog will keep for about one week if you use fresh eggs, milk, and cream.