At our house, when you’re the birthday boy or girl, “plan your heart’s wishes, plan your menus, and enjoy” is the rule of the day. Here is our Sweet Boy’s supper menu for his 17th, which we celebrated Wednesday: filet of beef juicy Lucy (grilled filet stuffed with fresh mozzarella and wrapped in thick bacon), cheese and apple salad, bell pepper salad, dark chocolate cake, milk chocolate ice cream, and grape soda. Hey, you’re only 17 once! Here is the recipe for our cheese and apple salad. I julienne Gruyére cheese and peeled and cored apples, one tart and one sweet, add lemon juice and a just a little mayonnaise, season the lot, and toss it in a serving bowl. Simple and delicious.
Cheese and Apple Salad
Yield: about 10 servings
1 tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
1 sweet, mild apple (such as Pink Lady)
½ pound Gruyere cheese (or substitute Emmenthaler)
¼ c. mayonnaise
salt and pepper
- Peel and core the apples, cut them into matchsticks, and place them in your serving bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon through your cupped hand and over the apples, catching any pips in the palm of your hand.
- Cut the cheese into matchsticks and toss it with the apples.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper, just a little of each.
- Toss it with the mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate the salad until serving time.
This salad may be made well ahead of serving time. It will keep in the refrigerator without browning or wilting for a couple of days.